The Firefly Family is a family of serial killers that appear in both House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil’s Rejects.
- Gloria Firefly, better known as Mother/Mama Firefly (1918 - May 18th, 1978), is known to be the mother of Rufus T. Firefly, Tiny Firefly, and Vera Ellen “Baby” Firefly. She is also the “adoptive mother” of Otis B. Driftwood. She is very flirtatious towards her victims as seen in both House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil’s Rejects. It is found out in The Devil’s Rejects that Mother Firefly’s birthname is Gloria Teasdale, and she goes by many aliases.
- Hugo “Grandpa” Firefly had a very crude, sexual humor and loved to tell dirty jokes. He was often seen yelling at the TV screen. When the family sits down to dinner with the four teenagers, he encourages them all to put their masks on, for dinner can’t start until they do. After dinner, he opens a somewhat Halloween themed “talent show” with ghastly screams and a series of sexual jokes.
- Earl Firefly(a.k.a. “The Professor”) was the husband of Gloria “Mama” Firefly and fathered two children with her; Tiny Firefly, and Rufus Firefly. According to Gloria, he was a very nice and kind hearted man, until he snapped one day. In a brute rage, he doused their son Tiny in gasoline and lit him on fire, resulting in his deformities.
- Johnny Lee Johns (Captain Spaulding a.k.a. “Cutter”) was born on April 13th, 1918 in El Paso, Texas. He spent a small part of his childhood in a home for orphaned boys in Ruggsville, Texas. At some point he was adopted the Altamont family. Johnny Lee would soon grow very close to his adoptive brother Charlie. Johnny Lee developed an interest in sideshow deformities and violent crime photography, foreshadowing his future as Captain Spaulding. He began his murder spree under the alias ‘Mr. Ding-Dong’. Charlie would refer to him as Cutter after Johnny Lee stabbed a man to death, which he would take as his name.
- Vera-Ellen Wilson (a.k.a. “Vera-Ellan Firefly, “Baby Firefly”) was born September 12, 1948 in the rural community of Ruggsville County to parents Eve Wilson (Mother Firefly) and Johnny Lee Johns (Captain Spaulding). As a child, Vera-Ellen showed signs of mania and psychosis; at the age of seven she stabbed a school mate in the eye with a home-made knife. When Vera-Ellen was nearly seventeen years of age, Otis B. Driftwood, a violent psychopath, roamed into Ruggsville County, and her family took him in. He formed a deep bond with his new adopted family, whom he gave the name “the Fireflys”, especially taking a liking with Vera-Ellen. Driftwood then nicknamed his new sister “Angel Baby”, a nickname later shortened to “Baby”, ten years after Driftwood joined the family, he and Baby began a spree of murders across the country. They documented their exploits in a series of diaries and scrapbooks. Later, in the winter of 1976, Baby returned to Ruggsville alone and resumed her life on the Firefly farm.
- Otis B. Driftwood was born December 23rd, 1929. He was horribly neglected and abused by his parents, who didn’t even give him a name. He committed his first murder at the age of thirteen, presumably his parents.He was a drifter for much of his life, travelling over the country from Wilmington, Delaware to Hurst, Texas. In the small town of Ruggsville, he met Cutter (later to be known as Captain Spaulding), and was soon living with his new friend’s family, whom he had renamed “the Fireflys”. This family consisted of Cutter’s girlfriend, who was then called Eve Wilson, whom Driftwood nicknamed “Mama Firefly”; Eve’s two sons, Rufus and Tiny; and the daughter of Cutter and Eve. Vera-Ellen, with whom Otis formed an immediate bond and nicknamed “Angel Baby” and later just “Baby”.
- Rufus T. Firefly, Jr, born Rufus T. Teasdale, is a member of the Firefly family, namely Tiny’s older brother and the eldest son of Earl Firefly (The Professor). Rufus was abnormally tall, and often shot down nearby cars so their drivers would have to stop by the Firefly house for help. His mother named him after the Groucho Marx character in the film Duck Soup.
- Tiny is the younger half-brother of Vera-Ellen. He suffers from gigantism, and is severely scarred and deformed due to an incident involving his biological father “The Professor”, Gloria Firefly’s original husband. The Professor had, as according to Gloria, an unprovoked spur of violence which lead to him dousing Tiny in gasoline and lighting him on fire. This was depicted in House of 1000 Corpses. Gloria also describes Tiny as having a “soft spot for the ladies.”